I have had ongoing problems using
laxtex to produce PDFs. So, I decided to throw out the package
texlive-full and start again. That didn't work and I uninstalled it again and went looking for an alternative.
Well that was journey. Here are some notes for anyone else trying to get this excellent looking package to work under FreeBSD 11.1
texlive-full (the FreeBSD package) leaves traces all over the system. It's messy to find the bits. In the end I had to search the
~/.TinyTex tree and delete anything on the rest of the system that matched names (crude but effective).
Secondly, during installation I got a number of errors, e.g.,
fmtutil: running `xetex -ini -jobname=xetex -progname=xetex -etex xetex.ini' ... Shared object "libfreetype.so.9" not found, required by "xetex"
On this particular installation, l have:
So I cheated and linked libfreetype.so to libfreetype.so.9. That allowed the package to install cleanly.
bookdown to compile to a PDF (the whole point of the exercise)
I kept on getting errors about
biblatex not finding apa (my referencing style of choice/necessity). Because I erroneously believed it was installed, it took forever for me to figure out I need to do:
tlmgr install biblatex-apa
and then, being British, it was easy to do
tlmgr install babel-english
And now it all seems to work. That said, I've not tried producing any PDFs from the other .tex and .md files I have laying around.